Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's underground knitting time here right now, as I frantically work on half-finished Christmas presents and try to figure out the most attractive way to package them still on the needles. But one of the cool things I've been working on at the Fiber Gallery is rehabbing an old Macomber 32" loom that my boss picked up a couple weekends ago. She's a beaut! Dark, luminous mahogany wood, quirky brass pivots and fittings, and a great sense of history.

DSC06456

DSC06459

She's also got this one fantastic detail:

DSC06463

Serial number 1. How cool is that?

We're still waiting on a bunch of parts from Macomber, but I jury-rigged it and threaded a simple diagonal twill in merino/tencel, with a hand-dyed cotton warp. The one problem?

DSC06461

Yes, Ms. Cleaver, it's pink. Sigh.

p.s. still looking for a Christmas present for someone obsessed with yarn and fiber? I've put together a collection of my fiber photography into an adorable desktop calendar. It's basically a beefcake calendar, but with fiber instead of naked men. I promise there are no naked men.

2 comments:

  1. Pink and lovely - embrace it!!

    These photos are making me want to weave something again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She's a beaut!" - I can tell you were in NZ!!! Marry Christmas to you and yours and all the best for 2011 !

    ReplyDelete